What is Custom Knee Replacement?
Custom Knee Replacement is an advanced surgical procedure in which the damaged knee joint is replaced by a customized implant, specifically designed to match the unique size and shape of each patient’s knee.
Because off-the-shelf implants aren’t designed to your specific anatomy, surgeons often have to compromise on implant fit, rotation, and alignment. These compromises can cause pain or discomfort after surgery and help explain why 1 in 5 patients aren’t satisfied with their knee replacement.
Advantages of Custom Knee Replacement
The custom knee replacement offers unique advantages not possible with traditional, off-the-shelf implants:
- Patient-specific design: Individualized fit that virtually eliminates sizing compromises common with off-the-shelf implants and often associated with pain after surgery
- A more natural feel: Design that follows the shape and contour of each patient's knee, which provides an increased potential for a more natural feeling knee
- Improved stability: Maintenance of the patient's natural joint lines to avoid instability, which is a common cause of patient dissatisfaction
Indications for Custom Knee Replacement
A custom knee replacement surgery shoulder is considered if you have osteoarthritic knee pain that:
- Restricts your mobility
- Interferes with activities of daily living
- Negatively impacts your quality of life
- Has not improved with conservative treatment
Custom Knee Replacement Types
The knee joint is divided into 3 separate compartments. Custom knee replacements are can be classified based on the number of knee compartments that are replaced:
- Unicompartmental knee replacement
- Bicompartmental knee replacement
- Tricompartmental knee replacement
Customized Knee Replacement Procedure
- Prior to the surgery, several MRI scans are taken to understand the specific anatomy of the affected joint.
- Along with the MRI images, a special tool called a jig is also used to provide a clear view of implantation.
- The patient-specific jigs have built-in image guidance which simplifies the surgical procedure and improves the outcome. Based on the MRI images the surgeon plans the surgery and calculates the cutting measurements that help the surgeon to remove the necessary amount of bone, at specific angles.
- This customized cut provides better implantation, more reliable alignment, and removal of less amount of bone.
- Risks associated with Customized Knee Replacement
- Customized Knee Replacement is a very safe procedure; however, as with surgery there are certain risks involved that include infection, bleeding, delayed healing, and loosening of the implant.
Prognosis of Customized Knee Replacement
As the customized knee replacement is uniquely designed to conform to each patient’s anatomy, there is less likelihood of wear and tear thereby prolonging the life of the implant.
Click to know more about Dr. Birch's specialties